Hands-On Learning with the Ocean’s Most Powerful Fish
Even before Ernest Hemingway graphically depicted the struggle to subdue one of the most iconic gamefish in the history of sport angling, marlin and other billfish have sparked the imagination of anglers around the world. No fish heralds more respect and awe then the legendary blue marlin, and locking into a hot marlin on fly can be one of the greatest thrills of a fly angler’s career as well as the definition of the very apex of our sport. And due to special manmade structures known as FADs, Costa Rica is hands down the best place in the world for fly anglers seeking an encounter with such an awe-inspiring fish.
When a group of pioneering bluewater anglers created the first FAD (fish aggregating device) strategically placed on a seamount off the coast of Costa Rica, they had no idea what it would do for fly fishing for marlin. A FAD is a long steel cable secured to the bottom with a large weight and rising to about 100′ below the ocean’s surface. The top of the FAD has a large cluster of flags and other materials, and this in effect creates artificial structure. In the open ocean, even a small floating piece of driftwood can have an abundance of life, and FADs prove to be incredible at bringing in such life in epic proportions. Staggering numbers of baitfish, small tuna, squid, and other ocean inhabitants take residence in no time, and where there is a multitude of prey apex predators like marlin are very close behind – and by marlin standards the numbers are mind blowing.
LODGING & FOOD
LEARNING AT CAMP
Example Marlin Itinerary Breakdown
- *DAY 1 – Arrival in San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO), Option 1) private transport to hotel, lodging in boutique hotel, no meals included, Option 2) afternoon domestic flight to the Osa Peninsula, private transport to hotel, lodging in oceanfront beach resort, no meals included
- DAY 2 – Option 1) Private transport to airport, early domestic flight to the Osa Peninsula, private transport to pier where yacht and crew will be waiting, start fishing that morning targeting sails and other pelagics on run out to FADs (offshore ~50-100 miles depending on where the hot bite it), all meals included, sleep aboard vessel, Option 2) private transport to pier where yacht and crew will be waiting, start fishing that morning targeting sails and other pelagics on run out to FADs (offshore ~50-100 miles depending on where the hot bite it), all meals included, sleep aboard vessel
- DAY 3 – Wake up offshore, fish around FAD for marlin and other pelagics, all meals included, sleep aboard vessel
- DAY 4 – Wake up at FAD, fish all day marlin, all meals included, return to pier that evening, private transport to hotel, , breakfast, lunch and snacks included onboard vessel, dinner not included, lodging in oceanfront beach resort
- **DAY 5 – Relaxed morning recovering from your adventure at beachfront hotel with pool, private transport to local airport, afternoon flight to San Jose, breakfast included, lunch and dinner not included, Option 1) private transport to hotel, lodging in boutique hotel, Option 2) departure from Costa Rica
- DAY 6 – Private transport to airport, departure from Costa Rica, breakfast included, lunch and dinner not included
*International arrival time to SJO must be before 12PM
**International flight must depart after 7PM